The founding fathers probably wouldn't see the humor in this...
For maximum enjoyment of this story, press play on this youtube video and listen while you read.
I was reminded yesterday of one of the funniest moments of my college career, or rather, my entire existence.
On a weekday afternoon at the Institute of Government and Public Affairs, I attended a lecture given by Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn. A group of about 20-30 people are gathered in the conference room, primarily college students but also a few distinguished University scholars. Quinn tells a little about the LG's office and basically tried to explain to a bunch of Poli Sci nerds just what it is he does. In the process, he tells us about his most exciting, ongoing campaign to stop electric rate hikes. Afterall, he claims, the rate hikes equate to taxation without representation. (I won't get into the logic or ins and outs of how he came to this conclusion because its not the point so let's just assume his analogy is remotely legitimate.) So, what, you may ask, is the Lt. Gov's offie doing about this gross violation of our rights? Well, the same thing they did it Boston. That's right, Pat Quinn is organizing a mass TEABAGGING of the folks at Ameren. I'm not sure its possible to put into words just how funny it was to hear the Lt. Gov. encourage us to teabag about 15 times, but let me tell you, this was an enthusiastic call to arms. And what's more! Not only can you send a teabag in with your next electric payment, you can also visit the Lt. Gov.'s website and send the power company a VIRTUAL teabag!
Yes, kids, I went home that day and visited that website. Just when I thought things could not get any funnier, I was confronted with a strutting cartoon teabag walking its way to the electric compay where it would bear down on the "man" and rectify this heinous wrong, all to a soundtrack of "We gonna rock down to electric avenue." Alas, the flash video has been removed from the site. But use your imagination and enjoy the music of Eddy Grant.
1 comment:
it is a little scary that 1) i love this song and 2) i have watched this video on youtube.
we are one.
Post a Comment